Travel to the Cook Islands

Our latest advice from the Cook Islands Government which may effect your upcoming travel plans

·    All future tourists to the Cook Islands aged 12 years and above will need to be fully vaccinated (except those with a medical certificate).

·    Inward arrivals to the Cook Islands restricted until 11.59pm on Wednesday 29th September 2021 (NZ Time).

·    Inward arrivals to the Cook Islands restricted until New Zealand has no community transmission for 14 days.

·    Visitors from New Zealand likely to be allowed once New Zealand is at Alert Level 1.

·    For the official Cook Island Tourism advice CLICK HERE

Note : CKT = Cook Islands Time, 1 day behind New Zealand

Vaccinations – there is limited information surrounding this new requirement, however the intent is clear – those 12years and above who are not fully vaccinated will not be able to travel to the Cook Islands. We expect proof of full double vaccinations will take the form of the Vaccination Certificate which you can apply for CLICK HERE. Please ensure that your Vaccination Certificate names exactly match your passports to avoid potential check-in problems – non-matching names may result in you being denied boarding at check-in. We do not believe the purple vaccination cards you receive will suffice, you will need to separately apply for the official Vaccination Certificate. We are also not sure if there will be a requirement to be vaccinated for at least 14 days prior to arrival, which is now standard with many other countries, therefore we recommend expediting your vaccinations as quickly as possible. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons, you will require a medical certificate to that effect, we presume issued by your GP or registered Health Specialist. Please note we are unable to apply for your Vaccination Certificates on your behalf, this is your responsibility.

Border Closed to midnight Wed 29th September 2021 (NZT) – after this date the travel outcomes are currently unknown and will evolve over time. However at this initial stage we believe that it is unlikely travel will be possible prior to and including Sunday 10th October 2021. On a departure date basis, our team will be reaching out to those affected in this date range, to discuss individual circumstances and requirements. For those departing from 11th – 17th October 2021 inclusive, we recommend that you hold your booking until we hear the NZ Government Update scheduled for Monday 4pm 20th September 2021. And for those departing from 18th October 2021 onwards, we also ask that you wait until the update next Monday 20th September 2021, so more informed decisions can be made about the likelihood of your travel progressing.

If you will not be vaccinating in the future, then it would appear that there is no point continuing to hold your booking, as it stands at present you will be unable to travel. Therefore we would recommend you cancelling your booking as soon as possible, so as to avoid as best possible any Supplier related cancellation fees.

Remember we are here to do everything we can to facilitate the best possible outcomes for you, although as you can hopefully appreciate, we are currently experiencing very high demand and we ask for your patience while we work our way through these new and evolving Covid19 developments.